Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Dresser Done Just Right

I just love the Habitat For Humanity Restore. I have picked up several pieces of furniture there. This dresser was 4.77. Gotta love a good price on something with lots of potential.







Sorry about the blurry pictures. My eyes are just not working right with this heat we have had here. I did not notice the blurriness until I uploaded them, and it is too late to redo them. The dresser is done. 

I mixed some white chalk paint. It is just a basic white wall and trim paint from Menards. Already mixed on the shelf and ready to go. I mixed 1 cup of paint to 1/2 cup of baking soda. The baking soda is mixed with just enough water to make it soupy before I mix it with the paint. It took 3 coats of paint to paint the dresser. It doesn't look that dark in these pictures, but it is a darker almost black. Then I sanded the top down and stained it with Minwax stain in Ebony. One of the drawers was missing so I took the drawer slide out of the top spot and also stained the inside of that. 

I wanted a natural looking distressing on this piece so after the paint dried I look a damp sock and started wiping. This will usually take the paint off only in the areas that seem to want to come off. That is the easiest way to explain it. There are some spots that I would like to be distressed so I use my nail with the cloth and kind of scratch it off. 

Then I used Minwax Finishing paste and gave it one coat. And here it is I LOVE the way it turned out. The drawers have an old newspaper look on the inside so I left that alone.









I did not do a thing to the pulls. I loved the way they looked so that is the way they stayed. The little shelf on the top was also purchased at the Restore on the same day for 3.00. It was already painted white so I just got out the old sander and distressed it. That is going to go on the top of the dresser with a few things on it. I'm not sure what things yet but we shall see. 


I am linking this post up with

Embracing Change
Three Mango Seeds
 

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty - you did a nice job :o)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete