Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 3 of Making a Castle Cake

Ok so last night I said we would be doing the towers. Well we had a change of plans. Instead I made Boots, Map and Backpack. I have never molded anything out of clay much less frosting. But I do have to say I believe they turned out very well. I really did not know I had it in me. Backpack is our favorite. Now Backpack carries Map in his side pocket, so I had to be as true to the cartoon as possible. Here is the starting process. 





I also made a blue flower with the number 3 in green to display on the cake. Here are a few pictures of the whole process today. All in all after about 5 hours I am done for the day. Considering Boots fell on his head about 100 times today and my eyes are spent, I don't think we did bad at all. I am happy with the results so far.











Now these guys are 100% fondant. It is amazing what you can do with this stuff. I didn't use any sculpting tools. Just the good old fingers and a toothpick. Boots legs are drying and I will add those once we get him sat on the cake. Can you see Map in the side pocket? Too cute. For the eyes I rolled white fondant into a small ball and slightly pushed it down. Then put some blue food coloring on the end of a toothpick and poked at the eye. For Backpacks mouth I used a toothpick and formed a half smile. It was all pretty easy. No cutting of any kind. I just simply rolled in my fingers or hands and smoothed with the warmth of my fingertips. Here are the final pictures of today's work.








Now I have gone back through with a toothpick and cleaned up all of the rough edges. Like around boots chin, and backpack's mouth and eyes. But these pictures give you an idea of what we have. We also made the pink bricks to go around the top edges of the castle but I forgot to ask Dave to take those pictures. We will be doing the ganache and the roof for the towers tomorrow. So far we have been having alot of fun together doing this. My son has also been chiming in. He offered help at one point when my hands were not doing so well. All in all this has been a great learning experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment