Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day 4 of Making a Castle Cake

Well today we made the ganache. All I can say is OH MY GOODNESS. The white chocolate is to die for! And easy. Wow was this easy. The recipe is 2 parts chocolate to 1 part heavy whipping cream. Melt both together in 2 min spurts in the microwave until chocolate is almost melted then shorter times until completely melted. Mix well. Let sit overnight to set. I stirred periodically to make sure it was mixing and melting. Oh man is this stuff good. I used Hershey milk and white chips. They are not "greasy" like most chips you buy. I was going to get pictures but Dave's diabetes started acting up. And it really isn't that thrilling just looks like a bowl full of chocolate lol. 


Once that was finished I started on the tower roof. I bought sugar cones and wrapped them in a thin layer of pink fondant. Being thin it shows the pattern on the cone and makes the roof look textured. I'm not sure if you can see that in the pictures or not.





I guess you kinda can see the texture on the roof. But again I just wet the edge of the tower and sat the roof on top. You have to really be careful with the water it doesn't take much to totally break the fondant down. But this stuff is cool. My son keeps saying I can't believe you can do all of this with frosting lol. We have been having a great time doing this. But here is a picture of all 6 towers finished. 




The towers have been drying since Sunday, so for 3 days now with the paper towel roll and parchment paper still inside. They are drying quite well. I removed the roll and paper before adding the roofs. Now I just hope they don't fall and break or anything. I will probably cry lol. Tareh came in today and went to pick one up just after I made it and it wasn't dry. I think I scared her half to death when I squealed "oh don't touch it"! lol And needless to say I love you guys but the kids are all banned until after the party. I can just see Bryson coming in a grabbing a tower to munch on as he is running through the house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment